Navigating Online Maps with Vision Impairments
Voice guidance in Maps, built for people with Vision Impairments
Think about the last time you walked to a new place. How many streets did you cross to get there? Which intersections were the most complex? How did you prepare before making a turn? And how did you know you aren't lost?
Now think about making the same trip you were 1 of the 36 million people who are blind worldwide or 1 of the 217 million who have moderate-to-severe vision impairments.
There are many different apps out there to help people with vision impairments such as Google maps, which is rolling out new features every day to get people the ability to receive more detailed voice guidance and new types of verbal announcements for walking trips. There are a handful of other companies who are working tirelessly on making map navigation more accessible.
What are some of your favorite apps for navigation?
Here is a YouTube video Engadget created that explores bringing step-by-step navigation to indoor spaces. would love to know your thoughts?
- All Categories
- 7 Open Community (Open to All)
- 5 Welcome and Introductions
- Coffee Lounge
- 1 Competitions and special offers
- 1 Open Community Help and Support
- My Community Groups
- 83 My Life's Discussions
- 9 Workplace and Employment
- 4 Education and Skills Development
- 4 Entertainment At Home
- 3 Entertainment Out and About
- 7 Travel and Transport
- 3 Built Environment - Access to Buildings and Urban Spaces
- 3 Fitness, Sports and Adventure
- 5 Cooking, Eating and Nutrition
- 5 Arts, Music and Crafts
- 6 Fashion and Beauty
- 8 Home and Daily Basics
- 2 Relationships and Sex
- 3 News and Current Affairs
- 2 Banking and Finance
- 2 Policy and Legislation
- 4 Healthcare
- 2 Shopping
- 3 Housing
- 3 Suggest a new discussion
- Education and Training Opportunities