How to Choose a University for your Disability

How to appropriately choose a university that meets the needs of your disability.

If you have a disability, choosing an institute of higher education involves more than selecting an academic program in social activities.

You should consider whether a college or university you attend will help provide you the support you need to live on your own, pursue a degree, fully participate in campus life, has the appropriate physical accommodations, to name a few.

What experiences have you had with choosing university? What accommodations did you need? How did your university assist with accommodating your access needs? What does the university consider reasonable accommodations?

Here is a list of some of the Best Disability Friendly Colleges and Universities for 2022

Check out this YouTube video by Education USA on Supporting Students with Disabilities

Comments

• Allie Schmidt
    Allie Schmidt Member (Full) Posts: 13

I didn't see Vanderbilt University on the list, but I encourage anyone who is disabled and looking at universities to check out the next steps program! You can read about it at the link! 

Next Steps at Vanderbilt is a 4-year inclusive higher education program committed to providing neurodiverse students an inclusive, transformational postsecondary education in academics, social and career development, and independent living, while honoring equality, compassion, and excellence in all endeavors.

“Vanderbilt was a leader in establishing the first inclusive higher education program in Tennessee and has a strong commitment to hiring disabled individuals,” said Eric Kopstain, vice chancellor for administration. “I am proud of my division’s partnership with the Next Steps program. We worked closely in 2016 with Next Steps, the Faculty Senate and other advocates to include comprehensive transition programs like Next Steps in the dependent tuition benefit program. Now we are collaborating with Next Steps on a long-term plan to make part of their program residentially based.”

• Andrew Warren
    Andrew Warren Member (Full) Posts: 8

If you are deaf or hard of hearing in USA, you might want to check out Rochester Institute of Technology/National Technical Institute of the Deaf (NTID) as they have so many support services including ASL interpreting, CART services, notetaking, tutoring (they have signers who tutor as well), etc.