Bake off contestant talks about her ADHA

It is great to hear someone talking about the positives symptoms of ADHD "Hyperfocus" as the reality’s of it everyday life with ADHD.

I know when I work from home I can be hyperfocus which is great for productivity but means I can forget to eat for example as I am too focused.

Comments

• I have a question for you Sam… The statistics of ADHD have gone way up over the last several decades. Do you happen to know if this is just because people are more attuned to it as a society as a whole or if it is increased to do technological advancements as well in our society over the last few decades?

• Samantha Fletcher
    Samantha Fletcher Member (Full) Posts: 106
    edited October 9

There has been a lot of discussion about this, I personally don't think it is down to one thing. I think it is because we are more aware of it more now, we also more open about it as society has also become more accepting and accomdenating of it. Also we understand it more, therefore improving ways of diagnosing it and in turn been able to diagnose more people. Then there become a number of private online diagnostic places, often pay for by health care plans or employers. The main big influence over the recent year leading to an increase has to be the pandemic and lockdown in my view.

• It's interesting you bring up the pandemic and lockdown… In the mobility impairment community United States, many of us had conversations about how most folks felt socially isolated. It came to light how many people with disabilities are and have been socially isolated for decades.