Oasis Community - Independent Living Neighborhood

On July 17th, in Indiana, USA the Tippecanoe County Commissioners approved plans to build a independent living community for the adult disability population and people who want to support them.

The Oasis Community features homes that are all accessible, and is advertised as a big plus for neighbors to visit each other's homes and know they are accessible.

In a personal conversation with US Senator Tom Harkin, a leader for passing the landmark legislation of the Americans with Disabilities Act in 1990, Senator Tom Harkin mentioned that while he was proud of the ADA, the nest step is really to pass legislation creating accessible housing.

What are your thoughts on accessible housing and neighborhood community building? What are your thoughts on this Oasis Community- does this feel accessible, wanted, and a good model for future neighborhoods? Or does it feel "separate but equal?"

What would your ideal housing community feel like?

Comments

• I absolutely love this. It basically comes down to this concept of universal design. We now live in a society where the baby boomer generation needs accessible/universally designed housing. Many folks I know in their 40s are now building homes that are accessible thinking about life 20 years down the road. Interesting shift in thinking earlier in many folks lives. I suspect because many of us are watching our parents age and running into accessibility issues for housing.