Tech Makes Beaches Accessible to Everyone

Geoff Cook
Geoff Cook Member (Full) Posts: 54

Tech Makes Beaches Accessible to Everyone

Over the last decade, technology has dramatically improved beach access for people with disabilities. Innovations like Access Trax mats and powered all-terrain wheelchairs help users navigate sand and even reach the water. These tools provide more independence, though cost and availability can still be challenges. On the bright side, accessibility-focused travel blogs and interactive maps are making it easier to plan inclusive beach trips. Communities and organizations also advocate for more accessible beach options, ensuring everyone can enjoy a day by the ocean. Have you used a beach wheelchair? If so, what have you experienced?

Read more: Accessibility Technology Ensures Everyone Gets a Day at the Beach.

Comments

• Tom Richer
    Tom Richer Posts: 94

Thank you Geoff, I went to Newquay in Cornwall UK not long ago and they had a manual wheelchair with large inflatable wheels. I was on a surfing trip and saw it in the corner of my eye and it made me really happy to see. Would be nice if more beaches had them!

• Geoff Cook
    Geoff Cook Member (Full) Posts: 54

I was reminded of going to the beach is a little kid was not my happy place, to be fair, but my parents had to either carry me or push my custom manual through the sand

• Samantha Fletcher
    Samantha Fletcher Member (Full) Posts: 90

Saw this article about how Devon in the UK are trying to make access to their beaches more accessible and thought of this chat.