What have you found to help you fall asleep with chronic pain and other symptoms?

I have dealt with insomnia my whole life, but when my chronic pain and POTS worsened, this worsened. I can have a tough time breathing depending on how I lay down and which position I am in can really spike my heart rate (which makes me feel similar to being overcaffeinated. Not fun to sleep!)

I have found that sleeping with my head elevated, but on my side helps with breathing and my heart rate. Having ice packs on my pain flare-ups while winding down for bed also generally makes me more tired. I have a little cherry juice and magnesium drink to help with lightheadedness and calming. While I am waiting for my sleeping pill to kick in, I put on some headphones and listen to an audiobook, with a cold compress over my eyes.

What do you do to help fall asleep?

Best Answer

• Nancy Gasper
    Nancy Gasper Member (Full) Posts: 1
    Answer ✓

Hey Shannon,

that sounds familiar to me. I have different strategies to find my way to fall asleep:

1. After a long period of struggling with the topic a made peace with fact of not being able to sleep. I started to use the time for something meaningful, like communicating with other, for example with you right in this moment
    2. I tried different Phantasie journeys and found one that fits for me.
    3. using the knowledge that the biorhythm of sleep : every circle last round about 90 minutes, i prepare everything to calm down an close my eyes and the end of the period using tip Nr. 2
    4. and if necessary - i give it a second try- opening the tv and looking into a calming fireplace with natural sounds

For now i wish you a good night and beautiful dreams

Netzwerkerin