Self-Advocacy

When I went to college for the first time, it was a bit of a shock! All of a sudden, I was responsible for everything about my life, including requesting disability accommodations from my professors. This required a great deal of self-advocacy on my part, which I wish I had been better prepared for during my high school career.

I think it is important for all students to be prepared to be strong self-advocates during college. Whether it is talking to your professors about a difficult assignment, dealing with a rude roommate, or pledging a Sorority or Fraternity, college requires speaking up for yourself to obtain what you need to be successful.

Do you think high schools should have life skills classes to prepare students for college and/or employment? What was your experience with requesting disability accommodations in higher education?

Comments

• Allie Schmidt
    Allie Schmidt Member (Full) Posts: 13

Great question!

I definitely think high schools should be responsible in preparing students for college and employment beyond simply academic knowledge. It would be great for high schools to update their curricula to offer life skills classes to equip students with practical abilities that will aid them in navigating the challenges of higher education and the workforce. The classes could cover a wide range of skills, including financial literacy, time management, effective communication, problem-solving, and critical thinking. By providing students with these essential life skills, high schools could contribute to their long-term success and well-rounded development.

Personally, when it comes to requesting disability accommodations in higher education, my experience has been positive overall. The availability of disability support services in universities and colleges has significantly improved over the years, allowing students with disabilities to receive the necessary accommodations to facilitate their learning and participation in academic activities. From extended time for exams to accessible classroom materials, these accommodations play a vital role in creating an inclusive educational environment.

High schools should definitely incorporate life skills classes into their curriculum to better prepare students for college and employment. Additionally, it is encouraging to witness the progress made in providing disability accommodations in higher education, although continuous efforts are needed to ensure that all students have equal access to education and a level playing field to thrive academically.

• Meryl Evans
    Meryl Evans Member (Full) Posts: 16

I went to college too long ago when accommodations were limited ... notetakers. No CART (captions). So, college was exhausting and hard for me.

Anyway, I believe high schools need to teach life skills such as managing finances as not a lot of parents know how to teach these to kids. They may not even be good at managing their money. Perhaps, a life skills literacy course that explores finances, healthcare literacy (tracking your healthcare data and being an advocate), etc. Not everyone can go on to college ... and even those who do don't learn about these.